Friday, February 1, 2008

Living Away from Home

Our government praises all our OFW's because they are our new heroes. The income they've sent to their families here in our country helps in flourishing our economy. Other countries offer great opportunities for a better income and a good life in which our government fails to offer. That is why most of the Filipinos really desires to go there, even if the consequence is to be away from their love ones. In some point I agrees with them seeing the situation we have in our country seems very difficult. They need to take the risk or else nothing will happen in their life's status. Yes, one can still provide three meals a day for his family but the rest, he needs to apply for a loan just to have an extra. But on the other side of the coin coming from a personal view of a daughter of an OFW I always felt something lacking in my life. My dad is away from us for about twenty years already. Though he went home every year for a one month vacation but for me it's not enough. There were times in which I felt that I got only a mom and a brother. It was difficult to develop a good relationship to a person whom I seldom see. I did try my best, not to felt that way. I knew that he did all these things because he want to give us a good life. So that, I can go to a good school, eat good food, buy nice clothes and provide us a good shelther. Yes, I need all those things but as a child I needed more than that. I need a dad whom I can share my first crush, the stars i've got from my kindergarten class, a dad who will go with my mom in pinning my ribbons and in giving my medals during closing exercises, celebrates with me on my birthdays and on other special days of my life. But inspite of that, I realize that my dad also desires to be with us everyday and being away from home is also very difficult for him to do. But he needs to do it because of the great need. He is so selfless to think about us first before himself. I know that no one is to be blamed for this kind of family set-up I had. I also want you readers, to know that God is so good to me. Even if my dad is far away from us, He fills in the lack I had in my life. He became my Dad and confidant. He knew all my secrets, my pains, my crushes, my disappointments. I believe He laughs with me too on my victories. I felt I am a whole person in Him. Now, I realize that God allows all these things to happen because I will not be as close to Him as I am right now. It's a great privilege for me to have this, one of a kind chance. The wealth and those things the world treasures most are nothing. Knowing and allowing God to be part of my life is the most fulfilling thing. To my dad you are my hero. Thank you for giving me the things I needed and for allowing the Lord to unfold into my life.








No comments: